Go back to blog homepage

4 FAQs About the Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

Written by on with 0 comment

1. Who is the Prospective Marriage visa for?

The Prospective Marriage visa is for anyone who intends to marry:

  • an Australian citizen; OR
  • an Australian permanent resident; OR
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

2. Why do you need a Prospective Marriage visa?

You need a Prospective Marriage visa if you want to come to Australia to marry your prospective spouse.

3. What does the Prospective Marriage visa let you do?

The Prospective Marriage visa lets you enter and stay temporarily in Australia for 9 months.

4. What are the requirements?

As the applicant, you must prove that you:

  • intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse; AND
  • be sponsored by your prospective spouse; AND
  • know your prospective spouse, and have met in person; AND
  • be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse; AND
  • be at least 18 years of age; AND
  • satisfy health requirements; AND
  • be prepared to give police certificates.

If you and your partner are a same-sex couple, you can apply for the Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801) based on your de-facto relationship.

For more information on how to apply for a Prospective Marriage visa please click here

See our post “What You Need to Know About the Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801)” to learn about the Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.

Leave a comment