4 FAQ’s relating to the Resident Return visa
In this post ImmiAdvisor answers 4 frequently asked questions relating to the resident return visa.
1. Who is the resident return visa for?
A Resident Return visa is for an Australian permanent resident who wants to travel overseas and return to Australia as a permanent resident.
2. How do I know if I am eligible for a resident return visa?
You may be eligible for a resident return visa if:
- You are an Australian permanent resident
- A former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- A former Australian citizen who lost or renounced their citizenship
- You have lived in Australia as a holder of the permanent resident visa for at least 2 years in the past 5 years OR you can satisfy the substantial ties requirement (personal, business, employment or cultural ties of benefit to Australia).
3. Where do I need to be when I apply for my visa and when my visa is decided?
If you are INSIDE Australia when you apply for your resident return visa = you do NOT need to be INSIDE Australia for the visa to be decided.
If you are OUTSIDE Australia when you apply for your resident return visa = you MUST be OUTSIDE Australia for the visa decision.
4. How long will my resident return visa be granted for?
If you have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 2 years of the past 5 years, the Subclass 155 will have a 5 year travel facility from date of grant.
If you have been granted the Subclass 155 based on substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for 3 months from the date of grant.
If you are granted a Subclass 157, the travel facility will be for 3 months from date of grant.
If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email email@example.com
IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you