5 basics of the Employer Nominated Scheme (Subclass 186)


1. Who is the Employer Nominated Scheme (Subclass 186) visa for?

– Skilled workers who want to work in Australia. Note this is a permanent visa.

2. What is the application process?

– You must be nominated by an approved Australian employer (i.e. they must have a Standard Business Sponsorship) and an application must be made under the nominated stream.

3. What are the three streams?

– Temporary Residence Transition stream: For subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for 2 years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.

– Direct Entry stream: For people who (a) have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream; (b) people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, (c) or temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

– Agreement stream: For people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.

4. When can you apply?

– You can only apply for a subclass 186 visa after you have been nominated by an employer in Australia.

5. Are there any special rules/ eligibility criteria?

– Yes. You must be younger than 50 years of age (unless exempt) and must meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements (unless you are exempt).

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.


  1. I had completed my grauduate in 2014..and i got my degree certoficate from the university in march 2015..currently living and working n thailand..am.i eligible to apply for australian subclass 476 and 457 visa.?or not..?


Leave A Reply