6 FAQs about the Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)
1. Who is the Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300) visa for?
The Prospective Marriage visa is for anyone over the age of 18 who intends to marry:
- an Australian citizen; OR
- an Australian permanent resident; OR
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
2. Why do you need a Prospective Marriage visa?
If you want to come to Australia to marry your prospective spouse.
3. How long does the prospective marriage visa let you stay in Australia for?
The Prospective Marriage visa lets you enter and stay temporarily in Australia for 9 months.
4. What are the requirements?
As the applicant, you must prove that you:
- intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse; AND
- be sponsored by your prospective spouse; AND
- know your prospective spouse, and have met in person; AND
- be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse; AND
- be at least 18 years of age; AND
- satisfy health requirements; AND
- be prepared to give police certificates.
5. Can my prospective marriage visa be extended? Or can I be granted another prospective marriage visa?
A prospective marriage visa cannot be extended and you cannot be granted another Prospective Marriage visa in Australia even if you have not yet married your sponsor but still intend to do so.
6. What if I am a same-sex couple?
If you and your partner are a same-sex couple, you can apply for the Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801) based on your de-facto relationship.
If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.